Low Carbon Brazil’s X Ray


Learn about in which regions in Brazil the 90 projects selected from Low Carbon Business Action Brazil are located.



In 2018, the tire industry recorded the sale of 59.4 million units, an increase of 0.2% over the volume recorded in the same period of 2017, according to data from the National Tire Industry Association (Associação Nacional da Indústria de Pneumáticos - ANIP). According to the entity, of every 100 tires exchanged in Brazil, 45 are taken to collection points because they are no longer in use. Of these, 67% are used as alternative fuel in cement industry furnaces. The remaining 33% are destined for recycling and generate products such as sports court flooring, synthetic grass, car mats and shoe soles.

It is estimated that 160 million units of old tires are generated annually in Brazil. With this, the number of initiatives to make tires a positive value waste grows. According to the IBAMA Tire Report 2017, in 2016 the national tire manufacturers allocated 457,533 tons of unserviceable tires in an environmentally correct manner. The indicator shows that the destination target for tires produced in Brazil was met by more than 100%.



EU Partner Programmes